MA Open Enrollment Period (OEP)
The Medicare Advantage (MA) Enrollment Period is from January 1st – March 31st every year. There are specific rules regarding this enrollment period.
What is MA OEP?
MA OEP is the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period MA OEP) that allows a beneficiary the following:
- To change from one Medicare Advantage plan to another
- Disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan and return to Original Medicare
- Disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan and return to Original Medicare, if you are still in your initial enrollment period.
What can I NOT do during this period?
During the MA OEP you may not do the following:
- Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan
- Join a Medicare drug plan, if you have been in Original Medicare
- Change from one Medicare drug plan to another, if you have been in Original Medicare
What should I know if I change back to Original Medicare?
If you disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan to switch back to Original Medicare, you will be permitted to enroll in a Medicare drug plan during this period.
When will my plan be effective?
Your new plan will be effective on the 1st day of the month following the month of enrollment.
What else should I know about this period?
You can only make one change during this period.